Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fried Happiness!

Some days just suck. You wake up hard, have too much to do, and in my case, have too many little hand trying to help you do things you had no motivation to get done in the first place. After one of these rough afternoons, I crave comfort food, and for me that is fried potatoes. It's pretty simple to make, and I start feeling better the moment that bacon hits a hot pan. Did I just say bacon? Why, yes, yes I did!

Fried Potatoes (Also known as Happiness in a Pan, and Heart Attack Skillet)

Diced potatoes, not peeled
Bacon, diced
Onion, diced
Salt and Pepper
Cheddar Cheese, shredded

Fry the bacon up till it is glorious, in an oven proof skillet (need I say cast iron?). Remove it. Saute the onion a bit in the renderings, then add the taters. Stir it all up until the potatoes have a nice little coating of grease on them, add more if you need it. Season. Clamp a lid on the pan and pop it in a 400* oven till the taters are done. Stir them every 15 mins or so, and they should be done in roughly 1/2 hr, maybe 45 mins. When you take it out, sprinkle it with the bacon and cheese and put the lid back on till everything is melty and delicious.

I will often make this with hush puppies (deep fried cornbread batter dropped by spoonfuls, nom nom nom!). Add bell pepper, garlic, green chiles, whenever suits your fancy. I didn't add measurements because it really should be made to suit. Mom made this for breakfast, but for us it is dinner. It reminds me of my childhood, and make me feel all warm and snug. Perfect pick me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment